Monday, November 9, 2009

When all tomorrows are gone, there will be teeth in the grass

Here is my cliche reason #205 as to why I'm blogging late at night (per usual): I'm supposed to be typing up my field notes for the past two weeks, and instead I casually wandered to this here little screen of joy, finally able to write something that is (hopefully) enjoyable. (Do not worry, the field notes are casually due before my internship Weds... so I'll do them later today).

Of course, there are a few thoughts floating within my psyche lately to the point of my pathos overtaking my logos (a little e100 humor, if you will).

To put this fairly bluntly, I believe a vast majority of us undermine our self-worth.
I would blame this on modesty, but perhaps modesty is skimming the surface. We are raised to believe we are special, unique, the apple of one's eye... And yet, as we grow older, we must allow our shine to dim. We realize there are a million more people out there taking the same major, loving the same music... and yet in this we find those who we lovingly call our friends. Perhaps these are the people who buffer you up every once in a while- allow you to shine in a moment of accomplishment, of need. It's a simultaneous buffering if you will, for when you shine you can only hope to allow the person that caused you to do so in the first place to shine as well. There are those moments when memory tends to overtake oneself from reality and place them back into a euphoria- it's when the night sky glimmers as the leaves of grass rustle with a cool breeze and the clouds seem to lift away from the cityscape to allow for that perfect view of feeling that last layer peel off and letting our notions of preconception lift itself away. Perhaps I have honestly gotten ahead of myself (the price of late-night blogging), and I do not have a real solution to give. It's evaluation- realizing how much you may actually mean to someone vs. what you honestly do mean to them... Not to say that we can predict to what degree we will affect another person. It's human desire to be surrounded by company (even bad company is better than none at all) because we are social creatures. Another leap of the mind thanks to Rousseau, but a leap I was willing to at least attempt.

In other babbling news, I am obsessed with Iron and Wine as of today (hence the title- finally, some relevance!). I can predict there is a lot of music that is making the "dear family and friends, the holidays are here" list. I could ramble- in fact, I will: White Rabbits, Yeasayer, Loney Dear, Port O'Brien, Plants and Animals... mmm. And this is only part of it.


PS- I want everything? http://www.kdikiovintage.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1 Particularly the mustache man (I hate facial hair, but this is so amazing), and the lady janey... I may need to buy myself things!

With that, I need to sleep. I'm crumbling like a flower without water, which is not pleasant. So goodnight!

2 comments:

  1. I.......... was ..... thinking.... its ..... a .... sign.... that .... the freckles....

    iron and wine is ridic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No no no...you must never allow your shine to dim, anyone who tells you the dimming is inevitable is a liar. We all have a special and unique calling, we all have something to offer the world that nobody else can, we all have important work to do and contributions to beauty to be made. And I refuse to believe otherwise.

    ReplyDelete