Monday, November 16, 2009

I could tell you, but telling gets old

As thoughts of the sublime swell within my mind (oh yes, pathos, you take that logos... But please only momentarily, because I do need to allow my logos to rule my wandering thoughts), I allowed my fingers to graze the mouse towards this page once again.

Tonight is the Leonid Meteor Shower, one that occurs every 30 or so years (33 maybe?). I honestly wanted to escape to the observatory and witness it without the light pollution in Irvine, but I feel that the best choice is to sleep, considering I have my reading tomorrow (eee!) and I plan on really working on my essay...

Ultimately, there is always that search for the perfect moment- when the earth and sky seem to crash into each other (no, not melt and mold into each other like a sunset- too cliche), and perhaps this night would have taken my imagination beyond its playful freedom into the elevated state of the sublime... There is a longing for crisp breath, molecular moisture hitting the skin, the gentle murmur of voices with the occasional crash against silence...

My first shooting star was unexpected. It was after my last band concert of the year, the last week of school. I waited for my ride home and found myself busily flustering between my belongings and the company I was with. I looked up in a moment of mere coincidence, and together we witnessed this phenomena. Another star would cross my way in the form of this past summer, but the elements remain the same: the sense of wonder, the build-up towards the sky, the cold wind clearing the mind.

I am reminded when I experience what I call "the haze"- when everything seems to blur besides one particular detail. You know you do not want to blink for sheer fear of losing this moment, but to truly realize the moment you must blink... and if the haze continues, you know there is something beyond it. The choice is whether to fall down the rabbit hole, stand within reality, or trip continuously between the two mindsets.

Perhaps you can guess where I have landed, but for now I am imagining the stars falling from the sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment