Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Give Your Life to Literature but DON'T READ JANE EYRE

Should be working on my presentations... And believe me, I am! For example, title = from Los Campesinos!'s "Don't Tell Me to Do the Math(s)" for how Jane Eyre has influenced pop culture. Just with some itunes lovin' goin' on, along with a little bit of sleepy time drooping my eyelids down to the ground.

There are so many wonderful and exciting things going on... Despite the lack of sleep, my insane two days of presentations (spanish- easy. Tomorrow is the kicker), a few "rememories," everything is going so insanely smoothly. 

First off, I can now say I am a published poet! One of my goals in life was to be published before I turned 21... and for it to actually be occurring is ridiculous. Tonight I am reading at my school for The UCI New Forum (the undergrad creative writing... pamphlet? paper?), and I am hoping it is well received. Honestly, a little shocked that they chose this poem (considering I labored over a few others much more than this one-time write out...). This is really monumental for me- I'm not a genius writer. At. All. I was told that sure, I write pretty things... but implied that they were nothing more than that. I wanted to prove this wrong- I wanted to maintain having a voice, creating twists and turns that will make the reader at least say, "Wow. I really like it"... To make someone say "Wow, I love this". Although this will not happen soon, I feel that I am gaining a solidified voice, and if I put myself out there, there are many others who will enjoy my work. All I know is that it can only get better!

PS- More musical longings anyone?
* Mandy Moore - Amanda Leigh (... shut up, her voice is GOOD).
* Various Artists- Thank You for the Music (AHHHH Another gorgeous set of songs!)
* The Do- A Mouthful (such a good band!)

Finalmente, mi poema por la noche.

Driftwood


You move with such a hollow frame

As if the bark rots in waves

Of old age, as if

Uprooting yourself causes you

More death than life.

 

We were once filled to

The brim with rotten marrow

In our creaseless bones-

We sucked ourselves dry,

Yet I must do this with my hands.

 

I will rise with this worn face

It will age, it will
Catch up to your hollow frame

And together, we’ll join the dirt.



2 comments:

  1. Carly this is absolutly Beautiful!
    I Always love your poems and Lyrics.
    They are so mystical. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Driftwood is legit! this is why i can't take E28D probably... I don't have your mad skills!

    ReplyDelete