Wednesday, June 3, 2009

(This is Where The Song Gets Sexy) If Bananas Had Lips, They Would Kiss and Not Miss...

Toni Morrison, as a writer, creates a dichotomy between good and evil through her characters... a more-than-necessary dichtomy, in fact, that exists only to allow one and the other to function. Take Sula for example- the argument is made that Sula represents all that is evil and wrong within the world, and the community she lives in tries to shun her (aka use her as a scapegoat). With her death, however, the community no longer functions, and they acknowledge that her existence was necessary to allow them to operate as a unit; without her, they fall apart.
... Does this exist in real life?

Absolutely. Perhaps this is why I continue to hold on, because your presence reminds me of the million ounces of goodness I
feel exist within myself. Perhaps you are the yin to my yang, the knot around the anchor leveling me constantly in reality (or some obscure form of it). Does this mean that your image must be with mine? Oh no- I prefer for us to stand apart and still, breathing echoes of rememory across city borders. Maybe you are necessary in my life in order to provide this split, to provide the underlying current to allow me to function and carry on, knowing that one day I'll be able to wake up and fully realize how far I've come.

For now, I feel that this has happened- I'm out.

No comments:

Post a Comment