Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Of your eyes, begonia skies like a sleepyhead

Remind me again why I enjoy late-night blogging?

Quite possibly because I just got done with the work due tomorrow (er, today...) which was not quite so terrible. However, I do need to catch up on so much reading (So.Much.Reading)... but it will get done, as it always does, and I will still find time to play in the sunshine :)

So, for my own sake, let's break it down bits-and-blurbs style (I still get really excited when blurb does not have a red squiggly line underneath)...

* Oh music list, why do you continue to grow? Passion Pit, Those Dancing Days, Cymbals Eating Guitars, Sufjan Stevens' The BQE (which, let's be honest- I may just need to buy this one now. I've been waiting since last year or so for it to finally come out and the bando inside of me freaked out a bit)...
* I've compiled a "Currently Obsessed With..." list on my iPod, and it is fantastic :)
* Still on the search for a dark nail polish that looks black but is really a color...
* I need to find more artwork for my walls!
* Recently met Laura Bennet from Project Runway 3... okay, I need to talk about this. A-mazing. I asked about her opinion on perfume intertwining with fashion, and we went on a good 3 minute conversation in front of the whole crowd. I have decided that when I am her age, I will be wearing skirts with feathers on the bottom... and magically grow five more inches :)
* Why do I continue to buy more and more books/magazines? I just bought Dave Eggers' A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, along with Pop magazine (I had a giftcard! It's from the UK, hence super expensive. And Tavi is on the cover- oh fashion blogging <3)... Let's make time to read, yeah? But only after class readings :(
* My internship started last week with the lil' chilluns. I get to teach poetry to 4th graders, and it is absolutely lovely (and REAL poets- not dumbed down, "Hi-I-write-for-fourth-graders" stuff)!
* One word: Fogheat. Oh, it gets my English-major blood boiling to write.
* Speaking of writing, I need to submit some work to Faultline and New Forum...
* Um what, facebook advertisement? Bright Star- a movie about John Keats and his muse Fanny Browne and their forbidden love? I may have just poetically geeked out a bit.
* There are so many birthdays from now until Christmas. Dear bank account, allow me to spoil those I love for the holidays. Sincerely, Carly :)
* That whole "let's find a job" idea from say a month ago? Yeah, let's actually do it.
* I want to watch movies. A ton of them. Ah, escapism <3

Thought-of-my-month: With E28D I'm allowed to read any books I want (as long as they are nonfiction). I decided to go with an earthy-theme of physical earth and... perfume (it comes from molecules. And herbs and flowers and such). Because of my research, I have begun to focus on scent- the simplicity and the complexity. Particularly, the opposite scents of what one expects to smell, like the deli rose- beautiful, yet smells like something completely different (for example, artichoke)... I want to play with the concept of dirty vs. clean.

I adore richer scents- sandalwood, musk, black velvet, vetiver. Florals bother me at times. Citrus is my favorite form of clean. I'm not partial to oriental scents. As I read The Perfect Scent by Chandler Burr, I continually fall in love with the idea of someone walking around, looking completely like a girl into pinks and flowers but instead wafts in darker, richer, dirty musk. Scent builds upon itself, only to fade away through layers... It's like arpeggios and chords: when harmonies mix completely with melodies, I simply die (good example: Blood Bank by Bon Iver. Or, any song by him. Flume, Skinny Love...).

Within one random jot-of-thought, I wrote on the belief of love flowing through the nose in the form of truth... Perhaps I am becoming too focused on scent as a memory, as a trigger of love's past... or I'm falling prey to the sleep giants that be. The basics: welcome into the insight of perfume, my hidden obsession.

And goodnight :)

2 comments:

  1. "currently obsessed with" playlists are the only things you should ever listen to on itunes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Late nights are great opportunities for blogging, whatever works for you, I say go for it. Nice use of the word “bando” btw. Hey, it seems like you really enjoyed meeting Laura Bennet, what a cool experience …and also, why wait til you’re older, you can be rocking skirts with feathers now. My bro is a huge Eggers fan; Staggering Genius is one of his favorite books, I hope you can get through it, heady stuff. Those fourth graders are lucky to have you, what you have with kids is a gift. And Good luck with the researching of scents, you always smell good, is that weird to say, I don’t know maybe it is.

    ReplyDelete