Monday, October 26, 2009

I know you're a serious lady, Living off a teacup full of cherries

This is going to be extremely quick, considering that this week I have a Spanish exam, a poetry presentation, and a poli-sci midterm all breathing down my neck.
... except, of course, the poet inside of me decides it's a great time to be inspired to write. Thanks inspiration, you finally hit at the wrong time (completely kidding- I love this feeling. It's relief in itself, an unexpected twist in my day... Especially considering today. Note to self: Do not have a Vanilla Eye Opener from Cyber A- it got me too intensely jittery. Also, this whole "pinched nerve/pulled muscle" in my shoulder/neck area does not help life at all!).

Okay, I lied: I may have been writing this for the past 10-15 minutes, BUT pitchfork has an amazing link to some of my favorite bands teaching guitar and I died a little bit with happiness :). Maybe this will motivate me to actually play my guitar? I say yes.

And below, my VERY rough poem (originally plural, but the inspiration has run dry as spanish stares me in the face). mmmhmmm.

Fogheat

It was on the skillet road
Of that musty fallen morning
That I speculated climbing out
Of the moving car-side window

Where my feet would burn,
My eyes would desiccate,
And my body would float among
The molecules, to only graze upon
Your cell-locked frame.

Your mouth was a tunnel of verbs
And nouns and run-on sentences
And every grammatical error I dared
To place my hand upon-
It was all too far lost to notice
That if I took one more step
I could simply edge myself away
Towards the speculum of you,
Where your body was once a map
That led my unclean lenses
To the sight of hot breath
Against the cooling window.

It was only a speculation-
Breathing is just haze for the
Lungs to grab onto,
And words are only escaping fingertips
Grazing across heated frames.

(And by the time this is actually posted, I have sat around and done pretty much.... some spanish studying. Oooooh yeah!) Officially back to work :)

No comments:

Post a Comment