Wednesday, September 30, 2009

And you will go to Mykonos, With a vision of a gentle coast

Simplicity, simplicity, simplicity.

Thought of the week: Why must all one writes be universal? Why must we feel this need to be mystical within ourselves, to discover some special spark all our own, to outshine the midnight air in hopes of being discovered for our talents, our thoughts, our hopes, ourselves. There is something epic in being able to influence, to pass along the glitter of one's imagined concoctions and hope for the person next to you to share within your light, to transfer one's energy into the next, to travel on that blanket towards something... and yet my words are flooding me forward.

Robert Pinsky has confirmed my love for the craft of writing. Tonight (in my 3-hours-of-sleep-haze) I decided to go to his lecture on translation, and was just blown completely away- his voice, his emphasis on phrase, his kind nature... I ended up buying his translation of Dante's Inferno (which I hear is absolutely incredible, and I can't wait to find the time to read it eventually). How am I not surprised that I spent more money on another book (while I'm planning on buying a few more- some Dave Eggers, Oscar Wilde, Frank Bidart, and Michael Ryan... mmm).

Let's keep this as simple as I possibly can, and how else to extract oneself than to list?
* Needing to listen to my collection of... Animal Collective, Snow Patrol, We Are Scientists, Silversun Pickups, The Raconteurs, Sondre Lerche, Regina Spektor, The Do, Arctic Monkeys, Grizzly Bear, Noise Addict, Nada Surf, Kate Nash ... and a lot more :)
* Reacquaint myself with: Hey Ocean!, Fleet Foxes, Yo La Tengo, Modest Mouse, Voxtrot...
* I am way more tired than what I thought I was xD
* Coffee Bean List of must-tries: Hot Vanilla, Apple Rooibos Tea Latte, Vanilla Ceylon Tea Latte... and other things!
* The reading list is huuumongousfungus: Books for class on top of a million Nylon magazines on top of Lolita and McSweeny's... ahhhhh
* Project Runway is coming oooon :)

And, as my parting thoughts are running thinner and thinner in my mind, all I can think about is taking things less seriously. A constant goal to achieve- I need time to continue to grow. mmm, the beauties of being young and wild and free!

3 comments:

  1. Your voice is unique, your thoughts uplifting, and your writing poetic. May you always be young, wild and free.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey baby girl. not sure if u got my post but to answer ur question to why people need to shine beyond others is simple. FAME! its a game that we all play. We all want to shine in our own ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh, the huuumongousfungus reading list. i suffer from it too.

    ReplyDelete