Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Two old planks of knotty pine, A couple of nails that poke right through

There are moments in life that simply makes one's heart swell, and those are the moments I live for the most.

My heart swell of the day: I helped backstage for my sister's show for camp, and afterwords I went upstairs to help undo microphones and chit-chat with the sound guy... I get a call from my sister, saying, "Someone wants to see you!" I run downstairs and BAM: One of the sweetest children in my group runs to me, his mom following close behind. She looks at me and says, "You know, he was excited to see his sister in the show... But all he could talk about was how excited he was to see you!" I pretty much melted into putty. It's moments like this that make me look at my job and say
Hey, I may be that one counselor. The one that is able to make a kid smile. The one that kids tell their parents about (and remember their name). The one that, years down the line, they will remember... That's a longshot, but it's better to dream big than not dream at all.

So when I doubt my character, when I doubt who I am... it's the moments that make my heart swell with love that will bring me back into focus.

Story of my life: The Dark Was the Night Album is absolutely amazing. The music snob in me is quite pleased :).
Oh, and hi butterflies. Let's play? Except these ones are a bit dangerous... perhaps you're a mix of bees and butterflies, stinging and floating to and fro. But you're just out of your cocoons... So nothing too stinging, and definitely still on earth.
Oh, we will see... But until then, it's time to get some sleep!

2 comments:

  1. Great piece and I'm glad you had that touching moment (but whatever you do wait before having kids, those little bastards are expensive), also what the heck does your title about the planks have to do with your story?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you kindly! The title comes from the first song on the Dark Was the Night album- it's called "Knotty Pine" and it's my favorite song at the moment (I was obsessing a bit).

    The only thing it has to do with my story (besides being on the album) is that I was listening to it :P

    ReplyDelete