Saturday, August 6, 2011

Something that won't get lost

Let's get specific: Season 6, Episode 14, Sex and the City. Carrie is dating Alexsander Protrovsky, and he is overly romantic if you will-- he writes a song for her on piano, reads Russian poetry, tries to get her to dance with him on their way to the opera as a string quartet plays in the distance and the city lights flicker off fountain water. In the end, she takes him to McDonalds and they shuffle in front of their cashier and order of fries.

So it got me thinking about romance, of course. I swoon over 1920s jazz tunes, French lyrics (though my only qualification at understanding French is standing in front of a boombox and singing Celine Dion songs), poetry... Yeah, a bit old fashioned, but have what you will. I also love a fine mix tape (cough, CD), one where you can tell how much thought has been put into making it... "perfect". But these are the oddly-intimate things one gets to learn from me (which, yes, I'm blogging).

I witnessed a completely different romance yesterday-- the type that is found in people simply caring about other people. It was my birthday, and I was surrounded with wishes from people I haven't heard from in years, the people I speak to every day, to the people I hoped to hear from the most... Because caring for someone can be romantic in itself, without gestures. But sometimes you just need a day of gestures to be reminded of how lucky one is to be surrounded by people who want to make that one person happy.

[Red Hunting Jacket- Little Scream]

No comments:

Post a Comment